Hexa-X-II will address implementation aspects of the 6G platform and encompass a full scope consisting of:
- Defining use cases, services, and requirements, ensuring the value for society
- Designing the platform and system, ensuring global impact on 6G development
- Assuring technology readiness in critical areas, ensuring EU strategic autonomy.
Hexa-X-II will move ahead of the current state of the art of 6G research and add on to the technical substance by building advanced technology readiness demonstrated with Proof of-Concepts (PoCs), by further integrating towards a 6G platform for the delivery of services, and by fostering international harmonisation of 6G development. In order to achieve this, Hexa-X-II has defined six main objectives.
- As the foundation, the project will analyse needs and develop a consolidated set of requirements in terms of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and KVIs for the future 6G platform, considering the key values of sustainability, inclusion, and trustworthiness (Obj. 1).
- The 6G platform will be systemized and integrated into a blueprint considering the key values, involving an evaluation of KPIs, which in turn will provide a validation of the project’s developed design and content (Obj. 2).
- The 6G system will enable breakthrough technologies and interfaces for connectivity services (Obj. 3), building on the progress of 5G-Advanced and meeting the demands of the 2030s.
- Expanding the scope of networks, the project will develop enabling technologies and interfaces for novel digital services building on new network capabilities of sensing, compute, and AI (Obj. 4).
- The project will further ensure that the 6G system is realizable, implementable, and manageable in a resource-efficient manner (Obj. 5).
- Finally, Hexa-X-II will contribute to a holistic European 6G view and will be a leading voice in the globally aligned roadmap towards 6G by impacting standardisation activities (Obj. 6).